The Banjul shipyard is a subsidiary of Gambia Ports Authorities. The shipyard was formally called the Marine Department and was established by the colonial administrations in 1924 to service seaplanes and Naval Vessels. The Shipyard also creates training and employment opportunities for Gambians involved in river transportation. From that time on it went through various hands until 1996 when it was set up as a limited liability company.
BANJUL SHIPYARD MISSION STATEMENT:
To be the best and most successful company in Marine and industrial services within the sub-region
THE BANJUL SHIPYARD OFFERS MARINE AND INDUSTRIAL SERVICES. THIS SERVICE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
Shipbuilding, repairs, and Maintenance of Vessels in various categories: Fishing Trawlers, Naval Vessels, Ferries, Tourist boats and Yachts, GPA Crafts, Small Cargos Barges, and many more.
- Office furniture, kitchen units, Dining table, and chairs, Bedroom sets,
- Roofing works, wooden door frames
- Cutting of timber to different sizes
- Productions of classroom tables, chairs, and many more.
- Surface grinding of top cylinder heads, threading of pipes, shafts, and nuts.
- Machining of Axle for trucks, regrooving of flanges pressing out all liners, and replacing new liners.
- Drilling of Angle iron and steel plates of all sizes. (0.5mm–Above)
- Wheel drum and disc skimming, straightening of bend pipes and iron bars.
- Pipeworks fabrication.
- Cutting of angle iron of different thicknesses, cutting, and drilling clips of roof trusses.
- repair of sparkplug threads on motor and outboard engines
- Maintenance of vessels’ structural steelworks (hull)
- Welding of tanks for petrol stations and many more.
- Fabrications of buoys, welding of tanks and vessels of all sizes
- Refilling of worn-out shafts and propellers
- Welding of water-tight joints
- Welding of steel doors, roof trusses, windows, and burglar proofs.
- Cutting and rolling of mild steel plates
- Marine Diving survey services
- Underwater videos and photo
- Ultrasonic metal thickness testing of vessels
- Inspection of vessel hulls, propellers, rudders report writing, and many more
- Sale and refilling of diving oxygen bottles
Ship Wright Works:
- Ship Repairs, maintenance survey, and report writing
- Docking, Repairing, restoring, and maintaining Ferries, sailing vessels, and small boats.
- Scraping, Sand Blasting, and Water Washing
- Painting of Vessel and other Marine associated works
- Fiberglass repairs
- Building painting and decoration
- Custom woodwork and joinery
- industrials salvaging
- Repair and servicing of electronic equipment
- Electrical installation works
- Battery charging